MSO10562 - 18th Century outbuildings at East Luccombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Barn, loft over stables, and shelter sheds forming U-plan around foldyard. Probably C18, altered mid C19. Threshing barn: red sandstone random rubble, thatched roof hippd left abutting stable at right angles, double doors under wooden lintel, buttressed foldyard side. Loft over stable: red sandstone random rubble, half hipped thatched roof, forming T-plan with barn, door with corrugated iron pentice hood porch onto foldyard, loft opening in gable end away from foldyard, door below set to right. Shelter sheds: red sandstone random rubble, double Roman tiled roof swept down, L-plan abutting stable block left, 1:3 bays, some brick infill and alterations in bay adjoining stable, circular piers. Triple Roman tiled lean-to addition gable end similar set in angle of barn and loft over stable at rear. Interiors not seen. Forms a good group with linhay (qv) to South. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265332. First Listed on 18/08/1977.  U-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Half-hipped roof  Towards the northern end of the conservation are two further listings. At East Luccombe Farm is a significant group of outbuildings, built of sandstone rubble with thatched and double Roman tiled roofs, around three sides of a cobbled yard. They are thought to date from the 18th century, were altered in the mid 19th century, and consist of a threshing barn, loft over a stable with shelter sheds opposite. The yard surface within the enclosed area of the outbuildings is cobbled. The buildings were visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted on the 2020 MasterMap data. They are within a group of buildings labelled "East Luccombe Farm". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6950 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Luccombe Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p15, 18.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39382 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9110 4475 (24m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/14/49/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/14/49/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/14/49/3
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31035
Record last edited
Aug 11 2020 4:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.