MSO10561 - 17th Century linhay at East Luccombe Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Linhay. Probably late C18. Red sandstone random rubble and cob in gable end, thatched roof, bargeboards. Two storeys, 2 bay, solid wall left, open right, facing north-east. Circular rubble piers, weatherboard infill right gable and ground floor left. A picturesque example of an obsolete type of farmbuilding; forms part of a good group with farmbuildings (qv) to north. (Photograph in NMR).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265331. First Listed on 18/08/1977.  2-bay plan. Earth, Stone, Random rubble walls.  Towards the northern end of the conservation are two further listings. At East Luccombe Farm is a significant group of outbuildings, built of sandstone rubble with thatched and double Roman tiled roofs, around three sides of a cobbled yard... To the south is a detached linhay, probably of late 17th century date and separately listed. It is built of sandstone rubble and cob, with circular stone piers and weather-board infill.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The linhay is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data and is within a group of buildings labelled "East Luccombe Farm". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6950 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Luccombe Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p15.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39383 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9109 4473 (9m by 9m) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/14/48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31034
Record last edited
May 19 2021 9:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.