MSO10548 - Oaktrow Farmhouse, Cutcombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Late C15, altered late C16-early C17, C19 and restored late C20. Roughcast over rubble and cob, slate roof, large external rendered stack right gable end, stone and part rendered stacks end bay left and between second and third bays left. Plan: possible open hall house, ceiled to 3-cell and cross passage with winder stair in cross passage, wing at rear reroofed to parallel range with subsequent north-west addition, south-east addition. Two storeys, 5-bays, all C20 wooden casements, entrance second bay right, C20 door, segmental headed gabled porch, lean-to roofed porch in angle left with attached single storey corrugated iron roofed wing with reset and altered C17 studded plank door. Interior: steeply chamfered beams without stops right, other beams chamfered with scroll stops, winder stair to rear of cross passage rising by jointed cruck truss, rest of roof apparently rebuilt probably collar beam trusses, peaked door frame to rear wing. Not sighted internally but said to contain octagonal wooden mullioned window. There is speculation as to the evolution of the farmhouse and functioning of the respective rooms. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, September 1978.).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265317. First Listed on 05/06/1985.  3-cell Cross passage plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data and is one of a group labelled "Oaktrow Farm". 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41372 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9418 4041 (26m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/6/35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31019
Record last edited
Aug 11 2020 4:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.