MSO9217 - Oaktrow Farm, Cutcombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
[SS 9420 4040] Oaktrow Farm.  "Betwixt Cutcombe and Timberscombe there is a depopulated place, called Oaktrow, which having been parcel of the manor of Cutcombe-Mohun, we shall here briefly notice. Its ancient name was Wochetrev, as we find it in Domesday Book."  SS 943 404. Collinson refers to a depopulated place called Oaktrow but there seems no reason to think there was ever more than a farm here.  Post medieval pottery and glass from Oaktrow, Cutcombe donated to Taunton Museum by Mr and Mrs C. J. Nurcombe in 1958, Accession No. 58.A.6.  A watching brief was undertaken in 2008 in advance of the erection of a general purpose agricultural livestock/storage building at Oaktrow Farm. No archaeological observations were made.  The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Cutcombe and is described as "Oaktrow: House Bartons etc", owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and occupied by William Oatway. It has been mapped from sources available to the HER. Several of the buildings shown on the Tithe Map may still be extant in some form and others apparently date to the later 19th Century, together with two ponds and a pump. An orchard is also recorded to the southeast, centred at SS 9427 4034 and labelled 158 (and again shown on later mapping). [5-8]
- <1> SEM7530 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 1:10,000 scale map: 1974. 1:10000.
- <2> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. 6.
- <3> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 127 (1983), 91.
- <4> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 103 (1958), 21.
- <5> SEM8430 Report: Turner, J.. 2008. Monitoring of groundworks at Oaktrow Farm.
- <6> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 162, 158-9.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 942 403 (186m by 189m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=37035 (Pastscape entry: 37035)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10224
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW33
- NBR Index Number: 41917
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 37035
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16267
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.