MSO10523 - St Giles Church, Leighland Chapel (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[ST 03213653] St. Giles's Church (NAT) On Site of Ancient Chapel. (NR)  St. Giles's Church - 1862.  A chapel called 'Lyland Chapel' is listed in this parish in 1548. No remains of an earlier building are incorporated in the present St. Giles's church, which is entirely 19th century, and in normal use.  ST03NW OLD CLEEVE CP LEIGHLAND CHAPEL 4/80 Church of St Giles GV II Parish church. 1861-2 on site of earlier building. Architect C E Giles. Red sandstone random rubble, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Plan: 4 bay nave, South porch, West bell-cote, chancel, North vestry. Plain Geometrical style. Single storey bell-cast gabled porch, coped verges and kneelers, string course, arched entrance, 2 pairs of lancets and single sone to right, large stepped buttress, 2 lancets to chancel, 3-light East window, heated vestry on North front, 4 pairs of lancets to nave with central stepped buttress, 2-light West window flanked by buttresses, gabled ashlar bell-cote. Interior: rendered. Chancel: scissor truss roof. Foliage decorated capitals to responds of pointed chancel arch. Similar foliage decoration to pulpit and spandrels of reredos. East window dated 1889. Contemporary fittings included 2 parrafin lamps and a corona for candles. Wrought iron screens, late C20 by Rachel Recketts. Medieval tiles inlaid round font. (VCH Somerset, Vol 5, forthcoming).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264837. First Listed on 21/12/1984.  Complex plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled, coped roof  The Church of St Giles, succeeding to the dedication of the medieval chapel, was built in 1861-2 by CE Giles. The medieval tiles around the font are probably from Cleeve Abbey.  An information leaflet contains further information on the church.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p 219.
- <3> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 10 August 1965.
- <4> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <5> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Historic Environment Record, 2005.
- <6> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <7> SMO5316 Serial: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 52.
- <8> SEM8773 Leaflet: Anonymous. Unknown. St Giles, Leighland: A short history. N/A.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 188388, Extant 30 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0320 3653 (29m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188388 (Pastscape entry: 188388)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=549 (CHER ID: 601468)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/80
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601468
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO12166
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7796
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188388
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30778
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35132
Record last edited
May 30 2022 10:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.