MSO10519 - Golsoncott House, Golsoncott (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The house dates to 1912. It has a splayed L-shape and a small octagonal entrance hall. The house was built by Count Hochburg for his land agent on the Croydon Hall estate. A very picturesque composition in the Arts and Crafts style of which there are very few good examples in the county.  The house was owned by the Reckitt family from c.1912 to 1995 when it was sold. It was built around 1908 in an Arts and Crafts style and was extended by Frank Reckitt in slightly the same style. The same family member was also responsible for the Lodge down the lane and paying for and designing the village hall in Roadwater, which echoes the architecture of this building.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Penelope Lively provides information on the house and gardens in an article for the Exmoor Review in 1994.  The house was purchased by Lively's grandparents in 1923. She provides her recollections about the property in "A house unlocked". Rachel Reckitt, the artist (and Lively's aunt), lived here until she died in 1995. In 1940 the house became an official war nursery, with children from the East End of London billeted in the old staff wing. 
- <1> SSO673 Index: 21/12/1984. Thirty-first List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Distict of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. J Lively, May 2013 (see Resources).
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 35 (1994), "Golsoncott- Two layers of memory", p16-19 (P Lively).
- <5> SEM8766 Monograph: Lively, P.. 2001. A house unlocked. Penguin Books. Proof.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0240 3904 (32m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 375/4/73
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 30771
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.