MSO10450 - Carpenter's workshop, Edbrooke Road, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A house called "The Old Timber Store" is clearly converted from an industrial store building with an opening running the full height of both storeys facing the road.  The site is shown as part of a plot labelled 659 on the Winsford Tithe Map, which was in use as an orchard at the time. It was owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and occupied by Joan Milton.  The building is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [3,4] The building is a carpenter's workshop, now called the Old Timber Store. It was set up by a local building contractor called Joseph Steer, who built Jasmine Cottage to the north in 1866.  J Steer and Sons (general builders) employed 20 or more skilled workers (wheelright, carpenters, joiners, masons, sawyers, carters and general labourers). The firm originally had a sawpit but later used a circular saw driven by a petrol engine. They quarried local stone for building and hauled bricks, slates and so on. The firm made coffins and was headed by the local undertaker. Jasmine Cottage was built by Joseph Steer and used as a building business until 1955. The south [?- source says "sound"] end of the house was a carpenter's workshop with a store next door for timber and paints. The timber store was converted into a holiday cottage in 1996. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Historic Environment Record, Somerset County Council, 26 November 2006.
- <2> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 659.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 15.
- <6> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 10, 48-9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9067 3484 (10m by 9m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 22763
Record last edited
Jul 26 2016 11:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.