MSO10444 - Weirside, Edbrooke Road, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)' shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building does not appear on the 1st Edition map.  Converted to a house, named Weirside.  Little evidence remains of the former Methodist Chapel, built c.1890 and now a private house, apart from the original pointed arch opening with moulded drip stone, and vertical plank door with ornate strap hinges. An earlier Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (MEM22744) dates from the late 18th Century but became the village hall from 1884 when the new Methodist Chapel was built. (N.B. both dates mentioned above are as stated in the text of the source)  The Wesleyan Chapel had a lively congregation and seemed to thrive until the Second World War. Ministers were attached to a circuit and conducted services throughout the district on a rota system. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SSO1583 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2005. Landline Information.
- <4> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 16,17.
- <5> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9068 3483 (17m by 15m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19421
Record last edited
Jul 20 2016 2:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.