MEM22744 - Wesleyan chapel next to ford across Winn Brook (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small building is shown on the Tithe Map for Winsford at SS 9058 3491. It is labelled 637 and descibed as a chapel, owned and occupied by the Wesleyan Conference.  The building is also shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps for Winsford and still appears to be extant. [2-4] An early Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now a gallery, adjoins the ford. This dates from the late 18th Century and was formerly thatched. It became the village hall from 1884 when the new Methodist Chapel was built, until the new hall was built in 1933.  N.B. The current village hall building is not visible on aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force during 1946-8 and so was constructed after these were taken, not in 1933.  There was no village hall in Winsford until 1952. Small meetings etc used to take place in the little village hall (originally the chapel and now used as an art gallery). 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 637.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 11,17.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <7> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 20-1.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9058 3491 (10m by 8m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 25 2020 9:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.