MSO10331 - Former school, Luccombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'School' shown on Ordnance Survey map of c1904.  Noted as a 'Hall' in 2005.  A new school was provided in the village in 1881, mainly financed by the Acland family of Holnicote. It became the village hall in 1967. Somewhat set apart, adjoining the village green is the former School, now the Village Hall built by the 11th Baronet Acland in the late 19th century. It is single-storey, built of squared-off local sandstone with brick dressings and “fishscale” plain tiled roof.  Luccombe School was established in 1881 by the Aclands.  The school building was erected in 1881, mainly financed with assistance from the Aclands family. It repoened as a Government school on 25th January 1892 for mixed infants, with 17 pupils and being taught by Miss S Harris. It consisted of one large room, with infants being under the control of a monitor and the older children being taught by the school mistress. School children were often employed in picking whortleberries and the school was often closed early to allow this. It was a prime source of income for many village families and often financed the children's clothing and footwear for the next year. The school had a large catchment area and children had to travel in daily from Stoke Pero, Cloutsham, Venniford and Horner, several miles each way. Attendance eventually dwindled and after the Second World War it was decided that the school would have to close, with the children being sent to Timberscombe instead by bus from 1946. During the 1950s and 1960s the building was used as a men's club, with a concrete skittle alley built in the former playground. The building was converted into a Village Hall in 1967 after plans for a new building failed to materialise. 
- <1> SSO1587 Map: Ordnance Survey. c.1904. Second Edition.
- <2> SSO1583 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2005. Landline Information.
- <3> SEM6950 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Luccombe Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13, 16.
- <4> SEM8516 Monograph: Villiers, S.. 2012. Village schooling in Somerset: Learn 'em hard. Ryelands.. 1st Edition. 214.
- <5> SEM8530 Monograph: Haw, G.. 2001. The book of Luccombe & Selworthy: A pictorial history of the parishes. Horner Mill Services. 1st Edition. 36-41.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9114 4458 (11m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18565
Record last edited
Feb 5 2018 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.