MSO10441 - School House, Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At SS 9548 4208, an L shaped building occupies the corner of a road junction at the western edge of Timberscombe on the Tithe Map. It is labelled 404, which the accompanying Apportionment document lists as "School House & Garden", opend by the The Trustees of Charity School and occupied by William Wood.  The building is again shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with various extensions to its rear.  'School' shown on Ordnance Survey map of c1904.  'School House' noted on recent map, presumably converted to a private dwelling.  The school still appears to be in use and has a functioning website. [5,6] In 1946, children previously sent to Luccombe School began to be sent to Timberscombe by bus, as the school had closed. 
- <1> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 404.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SSO1489 Map: Ordnance Survey. c.1904. 1:2500 map, second edition.
- <4> SSO1583 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2005. Landline Information.
- <5> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. Cutcombe and Timberscombe Church of England First Schools, viewed 30 January 2018.
- <6>XY SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #43993 2017 MasterMap extent of school, ]
- <7> SEM8530 Monograph: Haw, G.. 2001. The book of Luccombe & Selworthy: A pictorial history of the parishes. Horner Mill Services. 1st Edition. 38.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9547 4207 (19m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://slp5.somerset.org.uk/webs/ct/SitePages/Home.aspx (Cutcombe and Timberscombe Church of England First Schools website)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19400
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 5:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.