MSO10278 - World War Two nissen hut sites north of Dunster park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
There were two Nissen huts along the north edge of Dunster Park, possibly associated with the Home Guard. One is clearly visible on the RAF vertical aerial photographs and the other one is less clear to the southeast. [1-2] Possible Second World War Nissen huts are visible on aerial photographs. The two Nissen huts are located in the northwest corner of Dunster Park, centred at SS 9948 4400 and parallel to the A39 road. The huts are 9.5 metres long by 2.5 metres wide and placed 45 metres apart at SS 9945 4402 and SS 9951 4398. The Nissen huts were likely to have been used as accommodation and/or storage for the manning of the two adjacent pillboxes recorded as MMO1245 and MMO1252. The buildings were demolished by 1970 when only the footings were visible on the aerial photography. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1270 Unpublished document: Hunt, David. 27/01/2005. David Hunt to Somerset County Council.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4186-4187 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 198 (23 September 1970).
- <4>XY SMO7544 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 SE. MD000135. [Mapped features: #46474 ; #46475 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1454097, Extant 23 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9948 4400 (78m by 57m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1454097 (Pastscape entry: 1454097)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1458
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE139
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1454097
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17641
Record last edited
May 23 2022 9:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.