MSO10243 - World War Two pillbox site west of Loxhole Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
There was a pillbox just inside the entrance of Dunster Park which was removed by the National Trust in the 1970/80s.  It is clearly visible in a slide (dated 1971) in the HER collection (3.10.877). It is a type 24 and is facing southwest away from the coast.  A tree formed the central anti-ricochet wall and the pillbox had a pointed 'pavilion' type roof to make it look like a lodge. From memory there was a second one on the other side of the drive.  Pillbox, now DESTROYED. LOCATION: On S side of Park Road leading from Minehead / Taunton road (landward side of A39), Dunster Park.  The pillbox referred to above  is visible on available aerial photography. The pillbox is a Type 24 design and is centred at SS 9952 4393. The pillbox faces southwest with its entrance on the northeast side. The pillbox is immediately south of another recorded on Somerset's HER as site PRN 17640 (see External Links) and may be associated with the two nissen huts recorded as MSO10278. The footings of the pillbox are still visible on aerial photographs taken in 1993. [5-7]
- <1> SSO1421 Unassigned: Nicholson, J. 22/11/2003. West Somerset Archaeological Society, Minehead.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. Chris Webster, 9 January 2004.
- <3> SSO1273 Unpublished document: Hunt, David. 2/2/2004. email to Somerset County Council.
- <4> SMO7538 Digital archive: 2002. Defence of Britain. DEB01.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/243/2821 (F65) 0135-0136 (27 April 1964).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/93297 047-048 (16 August 1993).
- <7>XY SMO7544 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 SE. MD000135. [Mapped feature: #46476 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9951 4393 (23m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1416595 (Pastscape entry: 1416595)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/17640 (Somerset HER: Monument record PRN 17640)
- DoB Anti Invasion Database UID: S0000434
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1252
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE134
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1416595
- Somerset SMR PRN: 16662
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.