MSO10269 - 1-5 Gibraltar Cottages, Porlock Weir (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Row of 5 cottages. Probably of 17th century origin with later modification, especially to windows. Numbers 1 and 2 are limewash cob, the remainder are rubble construction with limewash to front the only. All of the cottages have thatched roofs. The row is of two or more builds, numbers 1 and 2 are set at a slight angle to the remainder. The backs of the property show the early origins. Mainly 2 storeys, but 2 storeys with attic to numbers 4 and 5. A modest row, maintaining considerable early fabric and dominant forms, especially at the back, in an important townscape location.  In Porlock Weir itself, nos. 1-5 Gibraltar Cottages are a mainly 17th century thatched group that seem almost to spill on to the beach, and have three large rear external stacks rising from the eaves. They are mainly stone rubble and cob, roughcast to the front, but exposed stone to the rear. The listing details describe them as "a modest row, maintaining considerable early fabric and dominant forms, especially at the back, in an important townscape location." There are some 17th and 18th century mullioned windows.  Can be seen on the 1841 Porlock Tithe Map.  The cottages were all flooded during the 'tidal wave' or the 'wash out' of 1910.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO57 Index: 15/7/1986. 2nd amendment of 35th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, West Somerset District/Exmoor National Park (Somerset)..
- <2> SEM6949 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Porlock Weir: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p4, 5, 19.
- <3> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p58.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8651 4783 (42m by 30m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/88/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/88/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/88/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/88/4
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/3/88/5
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
- Somerset SMR PRN: 17519
Record last edited
Jan 29 2021 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.