MMO648 - Post-medieval field system at Woodcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 9497 4735 in and around the head of Woodcombe is an extensive fragmentary field system representing attempts to enclose and improve the area in the post-medieval period. The remains comprise slight field banks on the open moor on the southern side of Hill Road, and immediately north of the improved land on Bratton Ball. In Woodcombe itself are further field banks and some lynchets, which seem to mark attempts to enclose the steeper slopes. The most impressive lynchet is at SS 9509 4696 running northsouth on steep east facing slopes. It is some 6 metres long and stands to about 2.5 metres high. Field system surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The field system referred to above [1,2] is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The field system is centred at SS 9453 4734 and covers an area that measures 870 metres long by 480 metres wide at its widest points. A later road (MSO7609) constructed during the Second World War cuts through the field system and the military activities (MMO627) which took place here obscure any evidence of it further to the north. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-79013 164-165 (17 April 1979).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #35153 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9449 4721 (962m by 608m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102386 (Original Monarch entry: 1102386)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7614
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102386
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 11:17AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.