MMO608 - World War Two construction spoil mound on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A substantial mound near Moor Wood Camp, at SS 95248 47401, was recorded as part of the RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on North Hill. Full details in survey report.  SS 9524 4740 A Second World War construction spoil mound, visible as an irregular earthwork, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located on Minehead's North Hill, the earthwork is associated with the extensive military training area and tank firing range that covered North Hill during the war. It has been suggested that the mound is the spoil which resulted during the construction of the road, now known as Hill Road, constructed by the military during World War Two to provide access for tanks to the firing range from the railhead at Minehead. Also, a wartime quarry only 33 metres to the northnortheast (MMO607) and a levelled area use to site a weapons pit about 66 metres northeast could also have been the source of the spoil material. Irregular in shape, the mound is about 35 metres by 20 metres. The mound was still visible in 2001. [2-4]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3008 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9547/11 (21106/07) (9 February 2001).
- <5> SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9525 4740 (38m by 31m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1101268 (Original Monarch entry: 1101268)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12466
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7622
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE58
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1101268
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35667
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.