MMO607 - World War Two construction quarry on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A substantial levelled area with a quarry pit or shaft at the east end measures 30 by 15 metres and 2 metres deep. The quarry is 4 by 3 metres and 3.5 to 4 metres deep and contains a mass of barbed wire and other debris. It is close to Moor Wood on North Hill lies at SS 95269 47427.  SS 9526 4742 A Second World War construction quarry, visible as a large cut feature, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located on Minehead's North Hill, the quarry is associated with the extensive military training area and tank firing range that covered North Hill during the war (MMO627). The feature is a shallow, irregular cut about 40 metres northeast to southwest and 24 metres northwest to southeast, at the east end of which is a deeper 18 metres by 10 metres pit. This quarry may have been created to provide foundation material for the construction of Hill Road by the military for access from Minehead railway station to the tank firing range. An earthwork mound immediately to the southwest (MMO608) may be the earth spoil from the quarry. Eyewitness accounts describe the use of conscientious objectors from the area to build the military roads. Aerial photographs taken in 2001 shows the quarry to have been much in-filled and covered with vegetation.[2-5]
- <1> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3008 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9547/11 (21106/07) (9 February 2001).
- <5> SMO7333 Website: Various. Various. World Wide Web page. Dudley Parsons War Years North Hill http://www.somerset.gov.uk/archives/exmoor/parsonssummary2.htm#.
- <6> SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9527 4742 (45m by 27m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1101076 (Original Monarch entry: 1101076)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12465
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7621
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE57
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1101076
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35666
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.