MMO594 - Kents Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A post-medieval mill complex at Kents Mill thought to be 19th Century. The surviving features are a leat with sluices. There may be an associated water meadow system.[1,2] Mill now gutted and a dwelling. Trace of wheel pit. Site suggests a low breast wheel.  The vertical aerial photographs of the area, clearly show a system of drainage ditches, possibly a water meadow system to the south of Kents Mill and Farm at SS 9235 3090. [6,7] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps clearly show the mill leat, including sluices and an aquaduct. [2,8]
- <1> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <2> SSO1538 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet Somerset. 57(11).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, 24 November 1977, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, 6 March 1984, Somerset County Council.
- <5> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 40.
- <6> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 1160.
- <7> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
- <8> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 4 January 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9234 3093 (196m by 441m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095141 (Original Monarch entry: 1095141)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11087
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8872
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW17
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095141
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33384
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.