MMO3795 - Medieval strip field system west of Newground Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Part of a system of medieval strip fields is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. Two curving parallel lynchets are situated by Newground Lane to the north of Churchtown, Parracombe. They are centred at SS 6755 4539. The lynchets may form part of an extensive system of fields around what appear to be multiple foci of settlement in and around Parracombe (see MDE10861). [1-3]
- <1> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 116-119; Fig. 4.30.
- <2> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. 20 December 1999, RCHME: Parracombe, West Devon.
- <3>XY SMO7527 Archive: 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. [Mapped feature: #34752 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6758 4539 (192m by 137m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505823 (Pastscape entry: 1505823)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE125
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505823
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 10:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.