MMO3183 - Medieval or post-medieval routeway on Hawkridge Plain (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Evidence of a former hollow way, trackway or packhorse road of possible medieval or post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, as an earthwork centred on circa SS 8317 3221, on the south facing slopes of Hawkridge Plain. The feature is visible as a shallow earthwork between 4 to 12 metres wide, climbing Hawridge plain from Fox Combe on a north-western orientation for approximately 450 metres, with a short spur heading visible at its southern end to the southwest for circa 130 metres. It is bisected by the modern road to Lower Willingford Bridge approximately halfway along its length, and although it is difficult to be certain from the aerial photographic evidence alone, the track appears to be overlain by narrow ridge and furrow of probable post-medieval date. The earthworks remain visible on the aerial photographs available on Google Earth at the time of survey, although they appear to be somewhat more eroded state. [1-3] A U shaped ditch, 3 metres wide and 0.9 metres deep, runs for some 200 metres northwest to southeast across the eastern side of the relict field system MM03182 which clearly postdates it. This is a hollow way, part of a series of routes which run from Molland Common, across the Dane's Brook and onto the former common grazing land of Humber's Ball and Halscombe Allotment, which may well date from the early medieval period. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3041-2 (19 May 1947).
- <2> SEM7654 Website: Various. Google Earth. Viewed 2009.
- <3>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #43411 Trackway, HWH17046]
- <4> SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17046, p13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8316 3219 (264m by 417m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1492027 (Pastscape entry: 1492027)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17046
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW105
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1492027
Record last edited
May 14 2018 3:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.