MMO3039 - Possible prehistoric hillslope enclosure south of Kitridge Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible hillslope enclosure of probable later prehistoric date can be seen to the northwest of Withypool on aerial photographs of 1946, as a cropmark centred on circa SS 8381 3596. The possible enclosure is defined by a cropmark up to 14 metres wide, probably forming over a levelled and spread earthwork bank, enclosing a roughly circular area circa 100 metres in diameter. It is situated at circa 340 metres above ordnance datum, just shy of the summit of a southeast facing spur above Withypool. The enclosure is not complete, a cropmark not visible on the northwest, upper side of the possible enclosure. As the possible enclosure can be seen on only one run of aerial photographs, it is possible the feature is non-archaeological in origin. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3295-6 (11 July 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191. [Mapped feature: #32731 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1488511, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8376 3598 (133m by 110m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1488511 (Pastscape entry: 1488511)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW138
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1488511
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 10:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.