MMO2908 - Medieval or post-medieval tracks on Fyldon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A pair of medieval or post-medieval tracks or hollow ways are visible on aerial photgraphs as earthworks on Fyldon Common, North Molton. Centred at approximately SS 7559 3555, two tracks are visible, of similar sizes. The western trackway runs north-south across the centre of Fyldon Common, from SS 7543 3579 as far as SS 7557 3543 and measures some 377 metres long. The second track, which lies approximately 100 metres east of its neighbour and also runs north-south, measures some 320 metres long. The shorter trackway appears to have been cut by the post-medieval road. They resemble the packhorse tracks and hollow ways seen elsewhere in and around the former Royal Forest of Exmoor, and are probably of a similar date. However, unlike some of these routes, these are not depicted on the 1816 map of the Forest, suggesting they were abandoned prior to this date. They may also be related to the hollow ways recorded around Span Head to the west (see MDE13191 and MDE20467). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4371-72 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Opposite 20.
- <3>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped feature: #33219 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1487054, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7554 3555 (233m by 488m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1487054 (Original Monarch entry:1487054)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE111
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1487054
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 9:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.