MDE13191 - Medieval or post-medieval hollow ways east of Five Barrows Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7435 3587 An irregular linear depression, indicating old tramways, seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs. Located close by to the east are two similar hollow ways or trackways MMO2908. [1, 2] The grid reference given falls on a fairly steep south facing slope about 420 metres above Ordnance Datum, in improved pasture and scattered rough grass. Traces of two intersecting hollow ways or terraces meet at approximately SS 743 359; one running northnorthwest by southsoutheast, probably from Kinsford Gate, and the other running roughly east to west from Span Head. There is an old quarry (MMO2743) at SS 7425 3595 which might have been associated with these features. Several sheep tracks also cross the slope from east to west. It is probably the hollow ways that were interpreted by McDonnell as tramways. [1,3]
- <1>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7435B, SS7535B. [Mapped feature: #46702 ]
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . MAM/14/096, 099 (May 1977).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 October 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7491 3594 (1468m by 535m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050235 (Original Monarch entry: 1050235)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 73 NW/575
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17850
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17853
- Devon SMR: SS73NE/504
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): 20464
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20467
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW49
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050235
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 5:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.