MMO2555 - Possible World War Two target at Outer Alscott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low structure, probably constructed from concrete and measuring approximately 5 metres square can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8318 4466, Oare parish. It is located towards the edge of a dense concentration of craters of Second World War date probably associated with Exmoor firing range and weapons testing facility which operated over much of Exmoor, from Brendon Common in the northwest. Field investigation revealed evidence of a structure or sign cast into the concrete of a similar feature on Brendon Common, and it is possible these features acted as targets or range markers. It remains visible on aerial photographs of 1983. A third similar feature is visible approximately 2.4 kilometres to the east. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4083-4 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA FALSE COLOUR INFRA-RED 5993-4 (1983).
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #32560 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478588, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8318 4466 (13m by 12m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478588 (Original Monarch entry: 1478588)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW304
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478588
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 4:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.