MMO1696 - Possible Target, Brendon Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low square structure, possibly constructed from concrete and approximately 5 metres square, can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 76234522, Brendon parish. It was probably associated with the Second World War firing range and weapons testing facility which operated over much of Exmoor, including Brendon Common (see MSO7776), and may have acted as a firing range target. It remains visible on aerial photographs of 1995, although appears to be in poor condition. (1-3)
- <1> SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/9526 077-078 12-MAR-1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 4074-5 11-APR-1947.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7623 4522 (7m by 7m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461089 (Pastscape entry: 1461089)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461089
Record last edited
Jun 19 2012 8:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.