MMO2554 - Possible World War Two target at Stowey Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low structure, probably constructed from concrete and measuring approximately 5 metres square can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 80794464, Oare parish. It is located towards the edge of a concentration of craters of Second World War date probably associated with Exmoor firing range and weapons testing facility which operated over much of Exmoor, from Brendon Common in the north-west. Field investigation revealed evidence of a structure or sign cast into the concrete of a similar feature on Brendon Common, and it is possible these features acted as targets or range markers. It remains visible on aerial photographs of 1985. A third similar feature is visible approximately 2.4 kilometres to the east. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4080-1 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA JAS 059-060 (29 August 1985).
- <3> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8079 4464 (13m by 12m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478586 (Original Monarch entry: 1478586)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW303
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1478586
Record last edited
Jul 25 2013 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.