MMO2519 - 19th Century peat cutting on Madacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A possible area of peat cutting of probable 19th Century date can be seen an irregularly shaped large pit centred on circa SS 8263 4296. The pit is approximately 9 metres wide and 73 long, orientated roughly east-north-east to west-south-west. It is probably contemporary with much more extensive areas of cutting to the north and south, but shares more characteristics with the cuttings to the north, in that it may represent sustained and cumulative peat extraction. In total, this area of peat cutting covers around 3 hectares of common land. The heyday of peat cutting on Exmoor was in the first half of the 19th Century, although cutting probably took place on a smaller scale from the medieval period well into the 20th Century. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 4103-5 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 72, 232-3.
- <3>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38881 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478164, Extant 19 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8263 4296 (77m by 55m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478164 (Pastscape entry: 1478164)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW268
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478164
Record last edited
Jul 19 2021 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.