MMO2500 - Peat Cutting, North-West of Alderman's Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An extensive area of peat cutting of probable nineteenth century date can be seen as numerous irregularly shaped, densely packed pits and disturbed ground on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 83134230, on the west facing slopes of Madacombe, to the west of Aldermans Barrow. The pits are oval and rectilinear in shape, the majority of the visible features ranging in size from 5 to 10 metres across. The exception to this is a large excavation centred on circa SS 83264238, which is more rectilinear in form and approaching 40 metres in length. The larger pits more readily reflect the cumulative nature of peat cutting on Exmoor, where one family may cut the same peat beds or turbary, known locally as a 'turf', for generations as part of their commoners rights. In total, this area of peat cutting covers over 12 hectares of common land. Due to the difficult nature of the evidence which can vary in appearance on aerial photographs from year to year, the transcription attempts only to convey the general character and area of the excavations, and should not be taken as a definitive record of the extent the pits. Peat cutting has probably taken place on Exmoor from the medieval period onwards, but its heyday was probably in the first half of the nineteenth century, although small scale cutting probably continued well into the twentieth century. (1-3) A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4066-7 13-MAY-1946.
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P. 72, 232-3.
- <3> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8310 4229 (468m by 447m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477983 (Pastscape entry: 1477983)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1477983
Record last edited
Aug 18 2015 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.