MMO2305 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Dure Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Dure Down, Exmoor, covering an area of approximately 16 hectares. The earthworks are centred on approximately SS 7585 4134 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 5 to 6 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 110 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the north on Exe Plain and to the east on The Warren. It is not clear whether the peat was used for domestic fuel or for turfing enclosure walls. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3154-55 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. PP. 232-33.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 143.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #38789 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7581 4136 (997m by 402m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475418 (Pastscape entry: 1475418)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE154
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1475418
Record last edited
Oct 6 2020 1:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.