MMO2199 - Medieval platforms south of Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Several small pits and mounds are visible on aerial photographs on an area of moorland south of Cheriton Ridge, Lynton and Lynmouth. Centred at approximately SS 7470 4385, at least four pits are visible, most of which are rectangular or subrectangular. Two of the pits have small mounds immediately next to them. The pits are not particularly deep and are most likely to be the remains of peat cutting in the area, with the associated mounds representing peat stands. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until fairly recently, and these workings were probably abandoned in the late 19th or 20th Century. [1-3] The site was reinterpreted during field survey in 2013. Four rectangular or subrectangular platforms lie above the track to the ford below Hoaroak Cottage on the west side of Cheriton Ridge. A platform at SS 74728 43898 is 8.2 metres long by 4.6 metres wide and is terraced into the hillside 1.2 metres (HOL 7); a second at SS 74726 43884 is 7.6 metres long and 4.3 metres wide and is terraced into the slope by up to 1 metre (HOL 8); a third at SS 74713 43889 is 7.5 metres long, 3.5 metres wide and terraced into the hillside by 1 metre (HOL 9); a fourth at SS 74704 43873 is 7.5 metres long, 5 metres wide and terraced into the slope by 0.8 metres (HOL 10). These are the remains of a small medieval settlement of perhaps two farmsteads, with associated field system to the north and south (MDE12856; MDE20820). There are no known documentary references to a settlement here and a date c. 1200-1400 AD is suggested by similar sites on Exmoor such as Ley Hill.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4124-25 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P. 47,143.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38822 ]
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 32.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1471038, Extant 19 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7469 4385 (66m by 35m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1471038 (Pastscape entry: 1471038)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW230
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1471038
Record last edited
Jan 19 2022 10:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.