MMO2172 - Post-medieval peat cutting north of Pinkery Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on moorland north of Pinkery Farm, covering an area of approximately 2 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 7221 4152 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 2 to 3 metres to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 20 metres across. In places the cuttings pass through a pair of post medieval drainage ditches which are believed to date to the period of the Knight family's improvement attempts. It therefore seems likely that peat cutting in ths area began shortly after the mid 19th Century. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. Similar areas are visible to the east and north-east, along The Chains. [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 924-26 (29 April 1973).
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. p 47, 143.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38891 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470702, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7226 4154 (154m by 133m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470702 (Pastscape entry: 1470702)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW203
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470702
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 5:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.