MMO2166 - Post-medieval peat cutting southwest of The Chains Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs [1,2] as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on moorland the the southwest of The Chains Valley, covering an area of approximately 14 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 742 414 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 8 to 10 metres, to rectangular linear pits up to 300 metres across. The cuttings are closely associated with an area of 19th Century drainage, believed to date to the Knight family's land improvement attempt in the 19th Century. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until vey recently, and may continue in places . Similar areas are visible to the south, north and northwest. [1-4] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 175-76 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3151-53 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <4>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38882 ]
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7422 4151 (919m by 383m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470631 (Pastscape entry: 1470631)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW 197
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470631
Record last edited
Oct 6 2020 4:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.