MMO2162 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post-medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Furzehill Common, Lynton and Lynmouth, covering an area of approximately 7 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 736 447 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 3 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 55 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until vary recently, and may continue in places. A similar area is visible to the south (see MMO2161). [1-3] A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 280-81 (16 August 1972).
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 47, 143.
- <3>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #38893 ]
- <4> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470609, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7356 4482 (278m by 220m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470609 (Pastscape entry: 1470609)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW193
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470609
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 5:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.