MMO2161 - Post-medieval peat cutting on Furzehill Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large area of peat cutting, of probable post medieval date, is visible on aerial photographs as numerous small pits and irregular earthworks on Furzehill Common, Lynton and Lynmouth covering an area of approximately 5.5 hectares. The earthworks are centred on SS 735 445 and are of a variety of shapes and sizes, from square pits measuring 3 to 4 metres across, to less regularly shaped, curved pits up to 80 metres across. Due to the vast number of pits visible on aerial photographs, only a representative sample has been transcribed, indicating distribution and form. Peat cutting is known to have continued on Exmoor until very recently, and may continue in places. A similar area is visible to the north. [1-3] This site is mentioned in the 2013 report by Hazel Riley, a field survey and synthesis of previous projects in the Hoaroak Valley, funded by the Exmoor Moorland Landscape Partnership Scheme.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands provides additional background on the practice and sites. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 280-81 (16 August 1972).
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. 47, 143.
- <3> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <4> SEM8028 Report: Riley, H.. 2013. Hoaroak Valley: Historic landscape survey and analysis. 36.
- <5> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7360 4453 (333m by 306m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470604 (Pastscape entry: 1470604)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW 192
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470604
Record last edited
Jan 22 2018 11:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.