MMO2160 - Post-medieval leat east and south of Titchcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A substantial post-medieval leat is visible as an earthwork in fields and across moorland to the east and south of Titchcombe, Exmoor. Beginning at approximately SS 7459 4063 and running in an approximately southern direction, the leat measures at least 650 metres long, and continues into SS 73 NW. The width is fairly constant, ranging from 6 to 8.5 metres. It appears better preserved at the northern and southern ends, where sections of the surrounding bank are still visible. Part of the leat is still depicted on the modern Ordnance Survey map, and the full structure is shown on both the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. The leat strongly resembles Pinkery Canal, and it seems likely that it was constructed by the Knight family as part of their improvements in the area, but no reference is made to such a structure in Orwin's book "The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest." Its precise date and function remain unclear, however it may have been an attempt to change the course of the nearby Barle Water. [1-6] The 1st Edition mapping  shows the leat continued to Cornham Farm; the GIS mapping was amended accordingly. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3081-82 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM7725 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2004. 1:10000, 2004. 1:10,000.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <5> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition.
- <6>XY SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #47025 ]
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. S Thorogood, 5 September 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7468 4000 (349m by 1295m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470588 (Original Monarch entry: 1470588)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW191
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470588
Record last edited
Mar 17 2021 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.