MSO7004 - Post-medieval water meadow east of Cornham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 749 393. A water meadow was noted on aerial photographs to the east of Cornham Farm. [1,2] A few leats are marked on the Ordnance Survey maps, one extending from the Pinkworthy canal (MSO6847). [3-5] SS 749 393. The area of pasture fields round Cornham Farm perambulated but apart from a, now dry, hedgeside leat coming in from the north no evidence of a water meadow system was found.  No trace of a water meadow system was visible on the aerial photographs examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2008. The leat described above, however, is clearly visible on numerous photographs, running from SS 7494 3924 to SS 7495 3895, a total distance of 286 metres. This leat appears slightly more substantial than those usually associated with Exmoor water meadow systems, and may have been used for drainage as opposed to irrigation. [7,8] The leat, which is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, appears to be a continuation of MMO2160. It travels south to Cornham Farmyard before continuing onwards by the route mapped through the National Mapping Project. GIS mapping amended accordingly. [3,9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3449.
- <2> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 38.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #40640 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Sheet 44(8).
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 August 1995.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3050-51 (13 May 1946).
- <8> SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189.
- <9> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 5 September 2013.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 909561, Extant 29 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 749 391 (88m by 375m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909561 (Original Monarch entry: 909561)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO306
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11792
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW30
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 909561
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34364
Record last edited
Nov 29 2021 9:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.