MMO2145 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- FIELD SYSTEM (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- BOUNDARY DITCH (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (AD 20th Century to Modern - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Unclassified))
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
A post medieval field system consisting of banks and ditches is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks on moorland above Short Combe to the north of Goat Hill, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7293 4100, and extending over an area of 3 hectares, the field system consists of several ditches surrounded by banks which encloses the northern end of Short Combe. Up to six small sub-rectangular enclosures or paddocks are created by the banks, varying in size from 60 to 100 metres long. The field system is closely associated with a complex drainage system laid out in a "herring-bone" pattern and it seems likely that the two are contemporary. The drainage system is very similar in size and form to those seen elsewhere in the area which are believed to date to the Knight family improvements of the 19th century. A large number of these "herring-bone" ditches were cut across Exmoor, particularly in the years after 1841, when Frederic Winn Knight took over the estate. It seems likely that the field system represents a planned area of enclosure, perhaps associated with the farms at Driver or Pinkery, which was abandoned due to the difficulties in drainage. None of the features in this area are depicted on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps (1-5).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3148-49 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Orwin, C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest" Oxford University Press, London page(s) 33-34.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Riley, H and Wilson-North, R 2004 "The Field Archaeology of Exmoor" English Heritage, Swindon page(s.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1904.
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7286 4097 (271m by 162m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470358 (Pastscape entry: 1470358)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470358
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.