MMO2144 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
An area of complex post medieval drainage ditches are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks on moorland above Short Combe to the north of Goat Hill, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7285 4092 on both sides of a steep west facing valley above Short Combe, the ditches cover an area of approximately 8 hectares. They are similar in form and size to the parallel "herring-bone" pattern ditches seen elsewhere in the area, which are believed to date to the Knight family improvement of the area in the 19th century. A large number of these "herring-bone ditches" were cut across large areas of Exmoor, particularly in the years after Frederic Winn Knight took over the estate in 1845. Several of the ditches appear to be associated with field banks, and it may be that this was a planned area of enclosure which was never completed, possibly related to Driver or Pinkery Farms. The field banks have been recorded separately. None of the features are depicted on the 1st or 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps (1-5).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3148-49 11-APR-1947.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Orwin, C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest" Oxford University Press, London page(s) 38-39.
- --- SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Riley, H and Wilson-North, R 2004 "The Field Archaeology of Exmoor" English Heritage, Swindon page(s.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1904.
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7279 4090 (292m by 260m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470355 (Pastscape entry: 1470355)
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470355
Record last edited
Mar 21 2018 1:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.