MMO2015 - Possible medieval or post-medieval field system west of Countisbury Village (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Fragmentary earthwork banks visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 7439 4969 to the immediate west of Countisbury village, are probably the remains of a relict field system of medieval or post-medieval date. The banks, which run downslope in a northwest to southeast direction towards the coastal cliffs above Sillery Sands, are on a similar alignment to the extant field system to the south, which is probably medieval in origin. The fragmentary banks are similar in character to a more extensive relict field system to the northeast, and with them, probably represent a later medieval phase of settlement and agricultural expansion. They may be associated with a nearby abandoned building platform and possible farmstead. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 F20 3147-8 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/902 (F20) 4025-6 (10 October 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 030-31 (15 April 1972).
- <4>XY SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173. [Mapped feature: #38578 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1466869, Extant 4 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7438 4969 (339m by 164m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1466869 (Original Monarch entry: 1466869)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW211
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1466869
Record last edited
Jan 4 2022 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.