MDE11732 - Large platform west of Lower Town Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7451 4963. Large platform, suggesting a toft, identified by McDonnell on aerial photographs west of Lower Town Farm Countisbury. [1,2] SS 7450 4964. The remains of a rectangular platform, about 14 metres east to west by 4 metres and 0.7 metres high, set into a south facing slope in a pasture field. An old field wall runs off northwards uphill from its east side. As suggested it is probably the stance for a house or barn. It may be associated with the field system (MDE8687) to the northeast. The area is shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey plan as being rough grass and gorse but no building is depicted so it had probably gone out of use by than. [3,4] A large rectangular building platform is visible on aerial photographs as low earthworks to the northwest of Countisbury village at circa SS 7447 4966. Set into a south facing slope of a ridge, just below the apex, the setting of the earthworks would not be unusual for a bank barn. However, at 30 metres in length and 13 metres wide, the building platform is large enough to suggest a larger range of buildings. The platform is within the area of rough ground described by the above authority, still visible as an area of rough vegetation on aerial photographs of 1995. This area of circa 1800 square metres may mark the limits of a farmstead associated with the building platform and the relict field system to the north. [5-7]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7449c.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 2609 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon 3(10).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 18 April 1994.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 052-3 (12 March 1995).
- <6> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. 2609 (June 1978).
- <7> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7448 4964 (61m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA108047 (National Trust HER entry: MNA108047)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926302 (Original Monarch entry: 926302)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/77
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18103
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20752
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO352
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW70
- National Park: Exmoor National Trust
- National Trust HER Record: MNA108047
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926302
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.