MMO1941 - Possible late prehistoric boundary ditches on Lyn Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two parallel ditches, visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks on the western slopes of Lyn Down at circa SS 7227 4667. Part of a complex of undated cropmark features on Lyn Down and Stock Common, the cropmarks are roughly 4 metres wide and between 23 and 28 metres apart. The function of the ditches is unclear but, with a second pairing of parallel ditched features to the north, they may form territorial boundary markers of late prehistoric date associated with the Iron Age enclosed settlements of Stock Castle and Roborough Castle. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA RUN 3 5892-3 (1983).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/910 4086-7 (17 October 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 023-24 (12 March 1995).
- <4>XY SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173. [Mapped feature: #33036 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1465375, Extant 10 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7226 4669 (128m by 381m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465375 (Original Monarch entry: 1465375)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW146
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1465375
Record last edited
Jan 10 2022 9:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.