MMO1940 - Possible prehistoric field boundaries and routes on Lyn Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Irregular and extensive linear cropmarks centred on SS 7231 4655, Lynton and Lynmouth parish, may mark the location of former field boundaries or routes of possible prehistoric date. The cropmarks appear intermittently on the enclosed former commons of Lyn Down and Stock Common, on aerial photographs from the 1940s to the 1990s. They do not form a coherent pattern, are not necessarily contemporaneous and the function of individual cropmarks cannot be confidently identified. However, the cropmarks are aligned roughly north to south and may be of similar date. They are also possibly aligned on the shoulder of lower ground between Lyn Down and Stock Common and may indicate a former route way along this ridge. They are also approximately halfway between the late prehistoric settlements of Stock Castle and Roborugh Castle, and, with further cropmark parallel ditched features to the north, may define territories and be associated with these settlements. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3363-4 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 046 (12 March 1995).
- <3> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7247 4644 (140m by 541m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1465373 (Original Monarch entry: 1465373)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW145
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1465373
Record last edited
Mar 20 2018 4:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.