MMO1864 - Medieval or post-medieval square enclosure south of Thornworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low earthwork bank defining a square enclosure of probable medieval or post-medieval date can be seen on aerial photographs immediately to the south of Thornworthy, Lynton and Lynmouth parish, centred on circa SS 71064574. The enclosure bank is visible on photographs of the 1950s onwards, but by the 1970s appears less well defined, probably as a result of modern agricultural improvements. The bank encloses an area of roughly 2400 square metres (0.24 hectares) and may mark the extent of a former farmyard, indicating that Thornworthy might previously have been a small village or hamlet, and that some settlement abandonment has occurred. Earthwork evidence for strip fields immediately to the south may support this interpretation. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 3161-2 17-OCT-1952.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 4041-2 08-NOV-1952.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 188-9 15-APR-1972.
- <4> SMO7556 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NW. MD002173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7103 4573 (56m by 89m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1464623 (Original Monarch entry: 1464623)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW100
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1464623
Record last edited
May 23 2013 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.