MDE20874 - Thornworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Thornworthy was Thronworthy in Domesday. It was included in the Manor of Lynton (Lintona), held by William Capra. Before the Conquest it was held by Ailward Tochesons.  The farmstead is shown on the tithe map. What is now a single large farmhouse were two separate buildings arranged at angles to each other (now forming the ends of the two wings of the L shaped building). A barn is situated to the west of the buildings and an outbuilding to its south. This plan appear to be repeated on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and on the aerial photographs of the site taken by the RAF in 1946-8, although the latter shows a further building constructed at SS 7096 4574. The two buildings at angles were therefore joined to form the farmhouse after this date; the building at SS 7096 4574 has also since been demolished, as has the building to the south of the farmhouse (the site of which was covered by trees in the RAF photographs). [2-6] The site was visited in December 1996. The house has been modified (possibly when the two original buildings were joined together to form the larger farm building). The remaining farm buildings were described as ruinous and scattered. The barn to the west of the farmhouse was described as 'ancient' and long shaped, across the contours and with remains of opposed central doorways. The walls had been raised up and partially rebuilt in stages. It was thought to be 16th Century with a 19th or 20th Century roof. 
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 466, 483, 488, 492.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 35.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7098 4576 (90m by 108m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19129
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/81
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 35
Record last edited
Mar 24 2018 11:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.