MMO1845 - Medieval field system west of Bromham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several medieval field boundaries with associated ridge and furrow are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks in fields to the west of Bomham Farm. Centred at approximately SS 8591 4538 three curvilinear boundaries are visible, running north-south and curving in an S-shape towards the west. They vary in length from 110 to 150 metres long and are between 1 and 2 metres wide. They appear to divide the extant fields into narrow strip fields. Between the field boundaries are several areas of levelled ridge and furrow. To the west of the system, the ridge and furrow runs north to south, curving in an S-shape parallel to the boundaries described above. In the east, however, the ridge and furrow runs east-west and curves parallel to the extant field boundaries. The distance between the rig is approximately 4 metres, similar to that recorded under MMO1843. The boundaries are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting they were abandoned to create larger fields prior to the publication of the map. These features and others in the area (see MMO1843 and MMO1842) indicate a medieval phase of settlement on and around Bromham Farm. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4001-03 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7557 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NE. MD002174. [Mapped feature: #40722 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1463401, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8590 4536 (403m by 267m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1463401 (Original Monarch entry: 1463401)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE157
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1463401
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 12:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.