MMO1842 - Medieval hollow way west of Bromham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A probable medieval hollow way is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in fields to the west of Bromham Farm. Centred at SS 8565 4533, the hollow way runs from north-east to south-west for approximately 325 metres, fading out at SS 8552 4524. It varies in width from 2 to 4 metres. The hollow way is overlain in several places by post medieval and modern paths, some of which are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. This hollow way and other features in the area suggest a medieval phase of settlement around Bromham Farm. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4001-02. 08/11/1952.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. English Heritage (2008) 24929 004-007.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8564 4534 (261m by 217m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1463392 (Original Monarch entry: 1463392)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE155
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1463392
Record last edited
Sep 4 2017 9:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.