MMO1694 - Post-medieval quarry at Pittcombe Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval roadside quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the northern side of the A39, near Pittcombe Head. Centred at SS 84747 46227, the quarry measures approximately 14 metres in diameter. It is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; however, several similar quarries in the area are depicted as "old quarries" suggesting they were not in use at the time of publication and therefore predate the 1889 map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 4122 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #39006 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8474 4622 (24m by 22m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460918 (Original Monarch entry: 1460918)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW123
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460918
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 5:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.