MMO1693 - Post-medieval quarry at Pittcombe Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval roadside quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the northern side of the A39, near Pittcombe Head. The quarry, centred at SS 84638 46214, measures approximately 8 metres in diameter. It is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; however several similar quarries in the area are depicted as "old quarries" suggesting that they were not in use at the time of publication, and therefore predate the 1889 map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 4122 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #39005 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8463 4621 (17m by 16m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460913 (Original Monarch entry: 1460913)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW122
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460913
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 5:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.