MMO1691 - Post-medieval quarry at Pittcombe Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large roadside stone quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs on the northern side of the A39, near Pittcombe Head. The quarry, centred at SS 84234 46197, measures approximately 50 metres across. It is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, however several similar quarries in the area are depicted as "old quarries" suggesting they were not in use at the time of publication, and therefore predate the map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 4122 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #39004 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8422 4619 (65m by 33m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460905 (Originmal Monarch entry: 1460905)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW120
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460905
Record last edited
Jan 26 2021 5:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.