MMO1629 - Post-medieval earthworks north of No Man's Land copse (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Three probably post-medieval banked field boundaries and an associated square enclosure of uncertain function are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, to the north of the copse known as No Man's Land, centred on circa SS 9024 4611, Selworthy parish. All three field boundaries are aligned west to east and appear to be associated with the extant, irregularly shaped enclosing field boundary. Aspect of this field's morphology, such as the curvilinear and dogleg shaped sides, may support an interpretation as medieval in origin. However, the very regular cropmarks recorded here are interpreted as post-medieval in date. The function of the associated square, possibly bank defined enclosure, centred on SS 9022 4602 is unclear. An interpretation as a stock enclosure is possible but its topographic location, on the top of a 70 metre high spur, may support a less functional interpretation, perhaps as an enclosure bank surrounding a tree clump to be viewed from Holnicote House to the northeast. A similar, although more elaborate bank has been noted at a Holnicote Estate farm at Cloutsham. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 3101-2 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM7490 Monograph: Turner, S.. 2007. Ancient Country: The Historic Character of Rural Devon. Devon Archaeological Society. p 32-56.
- <3> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. p137; Fig. 5.18.
- <4>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32537 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9023 4609 (109m by 225m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460143 (Original Monarch entry: 1460143)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW226
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460143
Record last edited
Mar 5 2019 9:13AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.